Thursday, April 20, 2006

The Art for the Day is: The Art of finishing

Today, I just mean coming to the end of a semester. This task is done, on to the next.
But artistically, finishing is a thing unto itself, and needs mindful attention.
For example: My mother used to knit sweaters and they were beautiful, but she stitched off the neck too tight and it was hard to get on, and hard to wear. I have had a tendency to come to the end of a project, see that it's going to come together just fine, and loose interest in the finishing detail. I've gotten better at this by either handing it off to someone who likes to handle those details, or redefining the finishing as a project in it's own right. Practice, practice, practice. It's like Alice shaking the Red Queen back to a kitten. Not my favorite ending.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home