Thursday, August 24, 2006

The Art of the Day is: the art of positive thinking

I got some bad news last night. It affects my job, maybe my pocketbook, but my reaction was surprisingly optimistic: This is not a tragedy, this is a setback. This is reversible.
Maybe it was because the person who gave me the news was very upset, and prone to awfulizing.
Maybe because I assumed the news was about a death in the corporate family, which may be tragic or not, but irreversible.
Maybe because my job is my job, my means to an end, and not my calling.
I think it's because, although I don't consider myself an optimist, I have taught myself not to jump directly to miserable. I look for the silver lining. I look for the fix. I am an ameliorist. So the next question is what can be done to repair this?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home