Thursday, August 17, 2006

I have written before on the phenomenon of earworms, melodies that get stuck in your head. NHC Havurah Institute is an earworm farm, an earworm convention, and an earworm swap meet, except, of course, they call them niggunim, not earworms.

Sessions often begin with a niggun, there are workshops on nigguns, and I found myself listening to the melodies in my head when I walked along the way, and when I lied down and when I rose up, coming and going. You get the idea.

The theme of this year’s Institute was “If you really Listen”, and while there are a lot of ways to interpret that theme, it seems perfect for a nigguning/earworming group.

The services at the end of the week were especially beautiful, with people aware of the sound, but unaware that they were the source. Singing without self-consciousness, but conscious of the community voice. Very cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home