Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The Art of the Day is: Conservation

It is hot. I am both fortunate and selfishly living in an air conditioned home. I am not going to open up the windows. I am not going to run the washer or the dryer or the dishwasher. I am going to invite the neighbors in.
I know there is more I could do.
I'm conserving motion too, and moving slowly.
I'm trying to not let it get to my thinking.
Running in slow motion also keeps you in the same place, and today, not moving backwards feels like progress.

1 Comments:

At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fortunate, I s'pose. But "selfish"? There is nothing selfish about taking care of oneself. You obviously got the a/c (or it was already in the condo). So would it be unselfish NOT to use it? I don't have a/c in my house, but I do have fans that can be surprisingly effective. Maybe one day I'll get a/c--time will tell. But that's my choice. In the meantime, I try not to "suffer" too much (lol). I know you've wanted to "share the wealth" of your a/c, and that's very generous of you.

But here's the thing to remember: You are important to a lot of people, and it's important to them that you remain as well and happy as possible. Ergo, it is in your domain to take care of yourself. You work hard and do so much for others, so why on earth should you be apologetic for any creature comforts you might enjoy? Don't you think you're entitled? (Hint: You're entitled.)

Living in awareness of environmental concerns and the world around you is a good thing. Conservation when possible is a good thing. But self-inflicted suffering is not only self-defeating, it diminishes the well-being that others need for you to possess.

Take care of yourself. Don't apologize for it. It's the most responsible thing you can do. (Smile)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home