Thursday, March 16, 2006

The Art of the Day is: The Art of Deconstructing Procrastination

The project at hand has become like a tangled knot of yarn. Tugging at it will only make the knots tighter, not to mention the corresponding knot in my stomach. So in order to move ahead I need to untangle things. Smoothing out the parts that are OK, and identifying the worst knots comes first. This takes more space, in the physical, mental and metaphysical realms (like cleaning closets, you need to move everything out, make a mess, make a clean space to return things to, and then organize and triage, save and discard).
It occurs to me while I’m doing this, I need to learn/relearn skills to solve certain parts of the problem, and that is what is overwhelming me. Again pulling the projects apart, making phases of the tasks at hand, seems to help. Just assigning finish-by-dates to each phase hasn’t worked very well, they guiltily go by. Focus in on the one task. Soap the knot so it slips through more easily, get a second pair of hands. Try to learn the difference between patience and procrastination. Now get back to it.

1 Comments:

At 11:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I love deadlines. I love the rushing sound they make as they go by.--Douglas Adams

and of course, DON'T PANIC

Look at something else for awhile and then look back it will all be different.
Love,
L

 

Post a Comment

<< Home