Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The Art of the Day is: The Art of Verbal Self Defence

This was the art of the day that started it all. It was a book that was recommended to me (which is now not even listed at Amazon), and now I can't remember why I needed it.
I know there was a period in my life when I was feeling inarticulate, and came to the conclusion anyone who could use inarticulate in a sentence probably wasn't.
It comes back to me now. I was working at a college where everyone around me celebrated having a "life of the mind", and I felt like I had none. That what I thought was of no consequence and I was only valued for what I produced, and that product was physical, a tangible thing.
Right now I feel like I'm aquiring thoughts and ideas and trying to jettison things (junk, sentimental articles of clothing, papers, duplicates, stuff I've been saving for others). The divesting is slow going, but the ideas are coming quickly. And I'm less defensive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home