Wednesday, June 21, 2006

The Art of the Day is: The Art of House Maintenance.

This includes recurrent tasks such as cleaning the cat litter, and throwing out the junk mail, and repetitive tasks like washing the dishes and vacuuming, and today it includes larger one time (one hopes) investments in infrastructure, like replacement windows, painting, and (stop here to wipe sweat off brow) replacing air conditioning units.

There is a part of me that wonders when I became an air conditioned person. I don't remember having air conditioners when I was growing up, but I don't remember it being so hot and humid either. Maybe it was because I lived in a house that was built at the turn of the century and had really high ceilings. Maybe it was because we stayed at the beach so much.
Anyway, today is not so oppressive as yesterday was, so I'd better get on with all those other repetitive tasks I put off yesterday.

1 Comments:

At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am very slowly starting to "condition" myself to realize that, after I get something done in the way of removing clutter or cleaning something, etc., I get to reap the rewards afterward (a somewhat cleaner, neater place). It may sound weird (or not), but it's taken me forever to grasp that, after agonizing over certain tasks, during the next day (usually), I can look around and say, "Wow...that really looks better. I can enjoy this." Of course, you gotta do certain things, as you put it, repetitively, but I'm just starting to catch on that, if I can take on some of the bigger things (okay, it's true I'm getting some help from a caring boyfriend), then I can approach the smaller things with a better attitude. I'm nowhere near where I want to be with this yet, but I'm determined not to let domestic stuff get out of control (as in the Art of House Maintenance). It's a struggle, but if I can obtain a modicum of overall control over clutter and the domestic environment before I'm, say, 60, I'll consider it a noteworthy victory.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home