Thursday, March 30, 2006

Anachronistic Iconography aka Looking Glass Logic

OK, folks, I need your input on this one.
Last week I finally got around to watching Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. I know, you all thought I had seen it years ago, and although I knew of it, I hadn't, or didn't remember seeing it. Except that I spotted the "John Belushi Samurai" and the Yoda Grandfather immediately as the sources that they were. Which led me to think about what would you call that?
Other examples are the kids who grew up thinking that anything by Tchaikovsky is the theme music from the Smurfs, the William Tell Overture is the intro to The Lone Ranger, "This is the cereal that's shot from guns" is a commercial, and not Bizet's Arlesienne.
Isn't there an Elvis song ripped off from a Schumann song. Or two?( "Love Me Tender, love me true" is Stephen Foster's Ora Lea) (and what's the origin of "How Gentle is the Rain, that falls softly on the meadow" and do you remember who sang it?)
Now if you know the original that's being quoted/sampled/reused, that's one thing, but if you learn it in reverse, recognize it after the fact, what do you call that?
When you have to add a qualifier to something old, because something new has replaced it (ie: vinyl record, rotary phone, analog watch) that's a retronym.

Anachronistic Icon is close to what I'm trying to describe; something that is out of place, because it was used as a symbol, before you became aware of its original use.
What I'm asking from you is a) more examples, b) a better term for it.
Gold Stars will be given. Go!

The Art for the Day is: Collaboration

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home